The Safety Technician’s role exists to promote and maintain a positive safety work attitude at Wolverine to the highest level. To reach this level, the Safety Technician must work both independently and together with the Safety & Health Manager (S&HM), Production and Maintenance Managers, and Plant Supervisors to create a safe workplace environment. Using Wolverine Policies and Procedures, OSHA Standards, and State and Local Regulations, the Safety Technician will provide regular guidance and knowledge to the Project Teams and address any immediate hazards and understand and react to any potential hazardous exposures.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
- Provide for, demonstrate, lead, and promote a positive safety culture within Wolverine.
- Conduct various safety audits at Wolverine to verify compliance and identify unsafe conditions.
- Maintain documentation necessary to comply with the Wolverine’s Policies and Procedures, and other OSHA, State, and Local applicable regulations.
- Work with Management to enforce safety policies and procedures that help prevent accidents.
- Perform incident investigations, investigate complaints, and recommend measures to Management to prevent reoccurrences and to ensure that we comply with Company policy, public health requirements, and applicable regulations.
- Inspect and evaluate workplace environments for safe, compliant equipment and work practices to ensure compliance with safety standards and government regulations.
- Interact with OSHA and other regulatory agencies regarding citations, accidents, claims, site visits and audits as needed.
- Organize and conduct safety meetings and training.
- Verify that subcontractors are monitored to follow Wolverine’s Safety policies and procedures. Interact and communicate with owner and subcontractor safety personnel.
- Manage the safety committee; Prepare topics, maintain minutes; and prepare monthly status report for safety meetings and events.
- Maintain and update Employee Safety Training Log to ensure recurring training requirements are met.
- Support Production Managers as needed.
- Manage Safety PPE Inventory as required, including Supervisors’ safety stock and machine safety stock.
- Inspect specified areas to ensure the presence of fire prevention equipment, safety equipment, and first aid supplies.
- Investigate health-related complaints and inspect facilities.
- Maintain and update emergency response plans and procedures and periodically review communications with local agencies and municipalities.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in health and safety is a plus.
- 3 to 5 years of experience managing and/or implementing safety programs in a manufacturing environment.
- Good comprehension of Health & Safety OSHA regulations applicable to manufacturing (General Industry). OSHA 30 Hour training a plus.
- Ability to follow and write/update safety plans and procedures, JHAs, and implement them.
- Understanding of production work environment and risks present.
- Good Verbal and Written Communication Skills.
- Able to adapt to a flexible, fast-paced and dynamic work environment consistent with Wolverine’s core values and mission statement.
- Ability to supervise safety staff.
- Must have strong computer and presentation skills; Ability to use Microsoft Office Products is required including: Outlook; Word; Power Point; Excel.
- Must be organized and promote Teamwork.
- Detail-oriented to ensure training records are maintained.
- Must be able to understand, update or develop, and deliver training topics.
PHYSICAL AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to work on the production floor with exposure to dust, fumes, odors, loud noise, and varying temperatures.
- Ability to do work requiring standing with frequent stooping, bending, reaching overhead and sufficient manual dexterity to perform all aspects of the job. Desk work as required.
- Must be able to read, write and comprehend English.
- Must be able to safely handle up to 50 pounds using a lifting device.
- Must follow all safety rules in force for the location you are in while performing your job responsibilities. This includes at a customer or supplier location.
- Must wear applicable PPE for manufacturing areas when you are in those areas including safety shoes, hearing protection, and safety glasses.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, gender identity or sexual orientation, creed, sex, disability, marital status, citizenship status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.